What is IPL?
Intense Pulsed Light or (IPL) is a type of phototherapy (or light therapy) used primarily to treat fine lines, age spots, dark patches, broken blood vessels, and unwanted hair. IPL and laser are quite different. While lasers emit one wavelength, IPL emits a broad spectrum of wavelengths of light and can be used for numerous skin concerns simultaneously.
What can I expect during an IPL procedure?
IPL is a safe and painless in-office procedure usually performed by a laser skin care aesthetician.
During the procedure:
- Your skin care specialist, will first clean your skin area under treatment and rub a cool gel on your skin.
- You will be requested to wear dark medical-grade glasses to protect your eyes.
- Light pulses will be applied on your skin through the light probe. You may feel a little pinprick sensation; like a light rubber band is snapping on your skin.
- Depending on the treatment area and the extent of treatment needed, the session can range between 20-30 minutes.
- You may need 3-6 treatment sessions to achieve the desired result, but every patient is unique.
Are there any side effects associated with the IPL procedure?
No! It’s actually very safe and is used broadly all over the world. Some patients experience mild swelling and redness after their procedure.
If you were to experience bruising, blistering, change in skin colour or signs of infection, you would need to call us right away, but these more severe side effects are infrequent and self-limited.
What are the main indications for IPL can treat?
- Uneven skin tone
- Age spots
- Fine lines
- Sun damage & mottling
- Blood vessels.
- Excess Hair
What is the cost of IPL treatment?
The cost for the treatment depends on your skin condition and the number of sessions required. Contact us at Heart Lake Cosmetic Dermatology to book your free consultation.